How to Lose Weight and Keep it Off
How to Lose Weight and Keep It Off
It is possible to lose weight and keep it off. It may sound like an impossible dream but there are simple principles at play here.
Many of us fall off the horse and give up trying to lose weight at the slightest thing and some make it half-way through. Some people achieve their goals and keep the momentum going for some time, only to end up going back to old habits when times get tough.
However, many people are really successful at losing weight and keeping it off. So why is that?
What do they have that we don’t…Could it be a state of mind?
Many of us know what a healthy lifestyle is and what we need to eat (or not) to be a healthy weight but we tend to fall back on ‘comfort habits’ and routines to bolster our emotions when the chips are down. We ‘feed’ ourselves ‘happy’ with fast, mood boosting treats or stodgy ‘comfort food’ that can just as quickly bring us down and then make us feel guilty for making poor choices.
Why do we do this? When we’re stressed, bored or just plain down and maybe in a negative cycle in life, we seek to reward ourselves but this is only a short-term reward.
What are the secrets of people who lose weight and keep it off?
There’s much evidence that knowing what you want and going for it 100%, and that means fully committing, for yourself and no-one else, often leads to positive results!
It might be beneficial to take a bit of time before embarking on your weight loss journey, to take these pointers on board to ensure you lose weight and keep it off.
- Be clear in your head that losing weight will take some time. You don’t put it on quickly and so for best long term results, set a sustainable target for yourself.
- Take it one day at a time and consider keeping a diary for a month before your start, to identify when cravings happen and why, so you can be prepared.
- Don’t beat yourself up if you have a few setbacks along the way. Remember life is full of ups and downs – pick yourself up and get back on that horse!
- Focus on how you feel, if you’re stressed go for a walk, or dance around the house to music – use diversion tactics!
- Sometimes we aren’t hungry, we’re thirsty so instead of reaching for a quick, unhealthy snack, try a cup of herbal tea or a glass of fizzy water with lemon.
- Ensure you have a supply of healthy snacks like nuts of fruit or some protein bars to fill that craving.
- Enjoy a meal replacement shake instead of your main meal a few times a week.
- Take progress pictures along your ‘journey’ and don’t cover up in baggy clothes. I am motivated by this and seeing even minor changes in your body can be hugely rewarding!
- Reduce alcohol intake – no ‘iffs’ or ‘buts’ as we know it’s full of unhealthy carbs!
- A healthy diet full of ‘rainbow’ colours and lean protein with a couple of healthy snacks should be the long-term aim to keep weight off.
- Sign up for an online exercise class and vary it with strength and cardio workouts.
- Network if you need to – join a social network with others who are on the same journey. Read blogs on positivity, health and exercise not focusing on diets as many of these can be far from positive!
- Maybe try a premium lifestyle supplement such as the VIBE 30 Day Weight Loss Plan to keep you consistently on track.
Vitality Rocks has a Facebook page and blog so please feel-free to sign up and contribute – let us know about your weight-loss journey. What’s worked for you?